How to Maintain a Metal Roof
Metal roofs are a great choice for homes and businesses, and they come in so many different designs, styles, and materials.
Whether it’s made from aluminum, steel, tin, copper, corrugated metal, metal tile, or metal slate, a metal roof is strong and durable, can stand up to the elements, and is one of the longer-lasting roofing options.
When installed correctly and taken care of through regular maintenance, metal roofs can stay in impeccable working condition (and continue to look beautiful) for years to come.
Maintaining a metal roof is actually not difficult either, especially when compared to some other roofing materials.
To keep your metal roof looking great and functioning the way it should long term, we have the following tips and tricks for maintaining your metal roof:
- A metal roof should be cleaned off regularly so leaves, sticks, and debris do not build up. With a metal roof, a lot of things simply slide or blow off the surface. However, if you’re noticing any accumulation, especially after a storm, you can take a broom or a water hose to a metal roof to remove anything that shouldn’t be up there. You can also be on the lookout for overgrowth and proactively trim or remove branches that are too close to your roof. If the area around your roof is more clear, fewer leaves and sticks will fall directly on your roof. There are also professional services that regularly clean roofs, so if you’re not comfortable getting up on a ladder or don’t have the time, all of this can be scheduled and paid for through a third-party service.
- Snow and ice build-up should be monitored on a metal roof. Again, the design of a metal roof actually allows a lot of snow and ice to simply slide right off once it starts melting, but sometimes a little extra help is needed. While metal roofs are strong, too much snow and ice build-up can cause damage, and issues like ice dams can also occur. Similar to ongoing leaf and debris cleaning, if someone is not comfortable dealing with snow or ice build-up on their own, there are professional services that can be contracted during the winter months.
- Taking care of your gutters and drainage spouts is also important. Gutters should be kept clean throughout the year. If you are not comfortable with doing this on your own, you can hire a gutter cleaning service to take care of it for you. In addition, be on the lookout for weaknesses and leaks coming from your gutters. You can fill holes and cracks on your own DIY-style to a certain extent, but gutters wear out over time, so gutter and/or drainage spout replacements might also be needed throughout the lifespan of your metal roof (your metal roof will easily outlast your gutters).
- Be on the lookout for signs of mold and mildew. Metal roofs are typically treated with solutions that make them resistant to mold and mildew. However, these solutions wear out over time due to the elements, so metal roof owners will want to apply a new antimold or antimildew solution regularly. Many hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes have metal roofing cleaners and antimold and antimildew solutions for sale. However, there are also professional service providers who can clean your metal roof regularly and reapply any protective solution needed to reduce the build-up of mold and mildew.
- Last, but certainly not least, call on the help of a professional to inspect your roof regularly. We actually recommend hiring a certified roof inspector at least annually. This will not only keep your roof records up-to-date for future sales or proof of market value but will also help identify issues with your roof sooner rather than later. Prevention is the best maintenance with a metal roof, and an inspector will highlight weak spots to address immediately before a larger problem like a leak or break happens. A lot of minor issues can actually be addressed DIY, like using metal roofing sealing paint for a small crack, for example. If it is a larger issue, you can always call on a professional service provider
Serving Southern Vermont
At Total Roofing & Service Inc., we’ve been in the construction industry for over three decades.
We are certified by the Better Business Bureau and the North East Roofing Contractors Association (NERCA), so you can trust our team of dedicated professionals. We not only specialize in metal roofing services but also slate roofing, flat roofing, asphalt shingles, and storm damage restoration.
Give us a call or request a quote using our online form to learn more and to get the process started for your new roofing project or restoration needs.